Pregnancy and Chiropractic Care
There are many benefits of receiving regular chiropractic adjustments from Dr. Schneider while you are pregnant. Many women experience postural, hormonal and structural changes during pregnancy that can cause pain and discomfort in the lower back. Did you know that these misalignments could pose a potential threat to the development of your baby? These misalignments, referred to as subluxations, cause cause stress overload to the mother’s nervous system which can lead to a detrimental health for the developing baby.
Additionally, a spinal or pelvic misalignment gives the developing baby less room to grow, potentially causing the baby to be breech, resulting in a Cesarean delivery. One of the greatest benefits to receiving regular chiropractic adjustments from Dr. Schneider is that a properly aligned and balanced pelvis allows more room for the fetus to turn into a proper position for fast and easy delivery.
As many mothers can attest, the discomfort of being pregnant can be very real and hard to ignore. These changes are not only hormonal, but also postural and bio-mechanical. Schneider Clinic has nearly three decades of experience in treating pregnant women. Our gentle chiropractic treatments are all-natural, highly effective, very gentle, and extremely precise to your body.
Benefits of Chiropractic Treatments During Pregnancy
There are many benefits of visiting Dr. Schneider for treatments during your pregnancy, including:
- Reducing labor and delivery time
- Relieving back and neck pain
- Creating space in the uterus for baby development
- Controlling symptoms of nausea
- Improving quality of sleep
- Preventing a potential cesarean delivery
- Promoting optimal uterine function
- Helping to turn a breech baby
Physiological and Hormonal Changes as Your Body Prepares for the Birth of Your Baby
Your body will go through many changes during pregnancy. Chiropractic adjustments from Dr. Schneider can help your body adjust correctly to these changes, resulting in a healthier pregnancy for you and your baby. Some changes that may occur include:
- Center of gravity moves forward increasing the lumbar curve and placing extra strain and force through the lumbar spine joints.
- The hormone relaxing loosens joints; increasing mobility and decreasing stability which creates aggravation of previous joint injuries and amplifies pelvic imbalance.
- Growing baby and increased fetal movement creates expansion of lower rib cage which can be aggravating to mid back joints that connect to ribs.
- Increased breast size to prepare for lactation adds additional strain to upper thoracic joints.
- Modified gait becomes wide, creating a variation in skeletal joint and muscle mobility, aggravating the pelvic joints, hip joints and sciatic nerves.
- Modified posture through shoulders to offset change in center of gravity causes loss of cervical curve leading to headaches.
- Pelvic misalignment alters pelvic opening leading to intrauterine constraint and fetopelvic disproportion.
The 4 Stages of Chiropractic Care for Mother and BabyPre-Conception
Chiropractic care prior to conception promotes:
- A more regular menstrual cycle
- Optimal uterine function
- Prepares body for healthy implantation
- Ensures proper nerve supply to reproductive organs
Chiropractic care during pregnancy promotes:
- Balance, alignment and flexibility
- Less morning sickness and nausea
- Detection, prevention and correction of fetal malposition
- Less back pain, neck pain and joint pain
Chiropractic care prior to labor promotes:
- Shorter delivery times
- Less traumatic births
- Reduced need for pain medication
- Decreased chance of a breech baby
- Less risk of a Cesarean birth
Chiropractic care after giving birth promotes:
- More comfort while breastfeeding
- Greater production of breast milk
- Less incidence of postpartum depression
If you are pregnant, we encourage you to give Schneider Clinic a call at (574) 293-7000 to see how we can help you!Enjoy a pain-free and natural pregnancy with treatments from Dr. Schneider.