Grilled Fish Tacos with Cabbage Slaw and Lime Crema
A little known secret about Dr. Schneider is he loves to grill! Last week was beautiful outside so we decided to make grilled fish tacos. The fish is a light but filling fillet of cod that absorbs the marinade and seals the juices in when it hits the grill. It's a very fast cooking fish, which makes it a great week night meal. The highlight of this recipe is the cabbage slaw and lime crema that bring out bright and fresh flavors to compliment the fish! The lime crema uses greek yogurt in place of sour cream which makes for a healthier option. We hope you find this recipe to be as wonderful as we did! Enjoy.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1 lb Cod, Tilapia, or Mahi Mahi fillets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 8 small corn or flour tortillas
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- Toppings - we recommended cotija cheese, fresh salsa, chopped cilantro, lettuce, radishes, slaw and lime crema (recipes below).
CABBAGE SLAW INGREDIENTS:
- 1 small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
LIME CREMA INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- Fresh squeezed juice from 1 lime
- Zest from 1 lime
CABBAGE SLAW DIRECTIONS:
- Add sliced red cabbage, sliced red onion and chopped cilantro to a medium mixing bowl. Pour lime juice and olive oil over top and mix with tongs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss again until all ingredients are evenly mixed. Set aside.
LIME CREMA DIRECTIONS:
- Add greek yogurt and lime juice to a small mixing bowl. Stir. Add the lime zest over top. Mix until all ingredients are evenly blended. Set aside.
GRILLED FISH TACO DIRECTIONS:
- Add olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk all ingredients together.
- In a large, gallon size resealable plastic bag, place fish fillets. Pour marinade over fish and seal bag. Gently move the bag around until all fish are coated with marinade. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes (no longer than 30 minutes).
- Preheat grill on medium-high. Brush grill pan or grill rack with a thin layer of olive oil to avoid the fish from sticking. Once the grill is heated add fish fillets. Grill until cooked through. We recommend about 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your fish. Transfer the grilled fish onto a serving plate and gently break fish into smaller pieces.
- Place flour or corn tortillas on grill while it is still hot. "Grill" each side for 5 to 10 seconds, just until warm and grill marks are visible. *Tip: tortillas cook extremely fast! Ten seconds or less is all they need.
- Top your warm tortillas with grilled fish, cabbage slaw, lime crema, and other fresh toppings.
- Serve alongside your favorite margarita or virgin daiquiri.
We hope you enjoy this grilled fish taco recipe as much as we do! Thank you for visiting or recipe page. You can sign up for our email recipes by clicking the link below.