Shrimp Salad in Fillo Shells and Wontons
Gourmet appetizers don't have to be difficult or take hours in the kitchen to prepare! The proof is in this Shrimp Salad recipe. With just a few simple steps you'll have a delicious appetizer that looks and tastes like you know what you're doing (because you do...right?!)
The first option is using pre-made fillo shells that you pop out of the package and into the oven for a few minutes. They come out warm and flaky.
The second option is to buy wonton wraps and create your own wonton "cup" by forming them in a cupcake pan.
Honestly, both options are incredibly quick and easy. The fresh and creamy shrimp salad mixed with the crunch of both shell options makes the whole dish come together.
We like to wing it when it comes to measurements. So take our recipe below and modify it to meet your taste preference. Enjoy!
Option 1: Pre-Made Fillo Shells
Available at most grocery stores in the Asian food aisle. We're using Athens Mini Fillo Shells. Follow the baking instructions on the box.
Option 2: Make Your Own Wontons
Again, these wonton wraps are available at most grocery stores. We're using Melissa's Wonton Wraps. Slightly brush each side of the wrap with olive oil. Bake according to the package directions.
- 1 bag of pre-cooked and cleaned large shrimp
- 1 bunch of celery
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Bake fillo shells or wontons according to package instructions. When done baking, set aside.
- Chop shrimp into bite size pieces and place in a medium/large mixing bowl.
- Chop the celery and green onions into small pieces and add to the mixing bowl.
- Squeeze the juice from one lemon into the mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise to the mixing bowl.
- Fold ingredients together and stir until well mixed.
- Add kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Optional: we added crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick.
- Stir again.
- Arrange fillo shells or wontons on a serving platter.
- Using a spoon, fill each shell or wonton with the shrimp salad mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!
- *We've made these earlier in the day and kept them refrigerated for a few hours. They were just as tasty.